On air with The Muttons

In between classes, NTU communication student Lee Yoo Jin lives her dream working with her childhood idols, Justin Ang and Vernon A of The Muttons

by Chrystal Chan

“I have been listening to The Muttons since I was 11, and I can’t believe that I get to live this dream now every day,” says final-year student Lee Yoo Jin, who started her job as a producer for Class 95’s Muttons in the Morning six months ago.  

“The only difficult thing was having to wake up before sunrise because the show starts at 6am, but I’m used to it now,” laughs the Korean-born Yoo Jin, who moved to Singapore when she was five. 

Working a lot behind the scenes, she suggests stories and ideas for the show, looking out for unusual headlines around the world, and compiles Hollywood news as on-air content. 

Occasionally, she appears in front of the microphone, such as when The Muttons ask her to chime in on a topic.

“I went on air for the first time in August last year, after a full month of training. It felt incredible thinking there were thousands of people out there hearing my voice,” she says.

NTU had a part to play in her foray into being a radio producer. NTU alumna Germaine Tan saw her emceeing an event organised by a local media company and asked if she wanted to work in radio. She jumped at the opportunity.

How have you managed to juggle school with your radio producer job?

I have my final-year project to complete, and have also taken a few modules that are Massive Open Online Courses. I also scheduled all my physical classes in the afternoon after the show. My friends know that I’m uncontactable after 10.30pm as I keep to a strict sleep schedule!

How has your time in NTU helped you?

I was in the university’s Emcee Club in NTU. I wouldn’t have had the confidence to go on air if I didn’t have all that experience speaking off-the-cuff without scripts as an emcee. 

What is something about working in radio that most people get wrong?

Not many realise how much work a DJ puts in to make a great show. Each show is live, so there is no room for errors and everything moves at breakneck speed. There’s also a lot of post-production work, such as editing show highlights, preparing special segments, liaising with clients and doing voiceovers for commercials.

Do you think radio is still relevant in today’s world?

Radio is an industry that is unique in that the DJs interact with their listeners daily and develop relationships with them. We have listeners who call in and message us every day. It’s amazing to see how The Muttons have such loyal fans who have followed them all these years. 

Nicest compliment you received from a listener?

A Grab driver told me that the Muttons and I always start his mornings right. That was music to my ears!

What are your plans after graduation?

I would love to stay on in this job. I’ll also pursue my other interests, such as emceeing, writing lifestyle articles, hosting YouTube videos and honing my digital graphics skills. 

This story was published in the Jan-Mar 2021 issue of HEY!. To read it and other stories from this issue in print, click here.