Unexpected pandemic joys

Like her peers, HEY! student writer Joelynn Tan found unexpected moments of appreciation and discovery during the pandemic

by Joelynn Tan / Illustration by Vivian Lim

COVID-19 upended life as we knew it, but it also inspired creativity and made room for change. I found time to volunteer, tutoring Primary 6 students who struggled with the conversion to online classes due to the pandemic. I also started exercising regularly, picked up painting, and even learned how to bake macarons.

Instead of dwelling on the things they were unable to do, other NTU students too focused on the silver lining.

“I found myself anew. I would not have realised how enjoyable it is to have time to myself, away from the hustle and the grind. During the initial lockdown phase, it was nice to be able to slow down and take a break.”

– Ng Jun Kai, Mechanical Engineering

“The pandemic was isolating and slowed down the fast pace of my life. But it gave me a quiet and peaceful time to reflect on my interests and strengths. Unexpectedly, the social restrictions gave me space to consider what career path I want to pursue.”

– Valerie Chia, Mathematical Sciences

“Since my school’s orientation camp was held virtually, I mustered up the courage to step up as a senior on the committee and make a difference. Although not held in person, the camp was an unforgettable experience as it gave me the chance to meet and connect with new people.”

– Samantha Low, Sociology

“If not for COVID-19, I would not have been able to appreciate physicians and nurses as much as I do now. The pandemic has shown how dedicated our healthcare workers are and the ordeal that they are going through is certainly something that they should be commended for.”

– Barathan M, Medicine

“Not being able to travel led me to new discoveries about my home. The pandemic, as well as the SingapoRediscovers vouchers, gave me a chance to be a tourist in my own country!”

– Ng Ming Hui, Public Policy and Global Affairs

This story was published in the Mar-May 2022 issue of HEY!. To read it and other stories from this issue in print, click here.