Getting creative in Cannes

Join these communication students reporting from the biggest festival of creativity in Cannes

by CS4070 Issues in Advertising students in Cannes

As part of our Advertising module, 15 of us went through 13 weeks of workshops, seminars and weekly advertising pitches to land ourselves a spot at the 69th Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. This is the largest gathering of professionals in the advertising and creative communications industry – often dubbed the “Oscars of creativity” – where the best of the best duke it out for a Grand Prix in different categories.

There, we celebrated three global wins. One group won the New Blood Pencil at the D&AD New Blood Awards, and another two teams were shortlisted in AKQA’s Future Lions challenge, with one team emerging among the top four winners for their clothing idea that lets the deaf experience music through vibrations in their clothes.

What’s the best part of the experience?

Tang Yi Ting: For me, it was hearing from the world’s top creatives, strategists and brands! The Cannes Lions Festival is an international convergence of the best ideas. It is such an amazing week for me to hang out and hear from the most talented creatives and brands. 

Ron Yap: The honest, heart-to-heart conversations with industry giants gave me new perspectives on my future as a creative and creator.

Jeannette Ooi: The awards shows. You get goosebumps. To celebrate great creative work and to witness the impact achieved is truly inspiring, especially for us students. We saw how creativity has changed the world for the better. 

Networking is essential yet intimidating. How can young people handle themselves at an event like this one?

Kai Emmanuel Kuah: Approaching strangers is never easy. The longer you contemplate your next move, the scarier it gets, so just do it! Chances are that when you approach them with a smile, they’ll return it. Staying humble and asking the right questions can also leave a great impression.

Athena Tan: Networking is a careful balance of conversation! My go-to networking tip is to maintain internal balance: remind yourself to smile and laugh, and remember that they’re human. Try complimenting their eyes or dress! It’s nice to show that extra love and care.

Lim See Mun: I sometimes think, “I’m just a student, why would industry leaders want to speak to me?” However, we all have something to bring to the table. We are the change the industry will face, so professionals are usually excited to speak with us. When networking, start off with small talk that leads into a common topic. 

How does it feel to emerge as a winner or finalist in this advertising competition?

Seth Low: International competitions provide the luxury of tackling briefs without the barriers of implementation that come with working with clients, while allowing you to dream big. The biggest takeaway is that your idea can go beyond just something of your own, to one that can help someone who might need it. It is the sense that you can be a part of something bigger than yourself, and make an impact, that makes me feel honoured.

Darryl Cheong: None of us expected the win. Admittedly, it felt really good to be recognised with a pencil at the D&AD Awards. It feels like your work is valued by industry professionals outside school and it has opened doors for me now that I have graduated and am looking for a job. 

Philip Ong: Being shortlisted at Future Lions is rewarding. It’s an acknowledgement of our hard work, especially since we beat over 2,000 global entries. The biggest reward though is the process of ideation and craft, which groomed me into a better creative.

What is your biggest takeaway from the advertising module at NTU? How has seeing the best work in the industry motivated you?

Abner Chong: This module is known for its many guest speakers and I’ve learnt so much from them. Seeing winning entries has also excited me. I’ve seen what creative work can be and what creatives can do.

Lim Yi Hui: The chance to challenge myself. From learning Blender to pitching, I found the courage to try things I always thought I couldn’t do. Being at Cannes is scary. Among so many giants, you may feel like a nobody. But I know I’ll bring back the quiet little moments of awe, of shivers from the powerful works we saw. I know they’ll fuel my works in future.

Nicole Lim: From dissecting award-winning works to cracking briefs, this module has better prepared us for adland. Connecting with industry leaders is undoubtedly my most important takeaway. Seeing winning work is proof of the power of advertising, invigorating my admiration and hunger.

I’m sure you’re enjoying the Festival. What’s most interesting to you here?

Keith Samson: The experiential learning element is what I enjoy most. Whether it’s a chat with industry leaders or getting immersed in talks, the conference provides ample opportunity for students to integrate into the Cannes culture.

Cheong Kai Xin: Unexpectedly, talks from lesser-known brands and figures can sometimes be more impactful, so each day feels like a gamble! Personally, the best part is the friendly atmosphere that’s un-intimidating. My inner Singaporean is also having fun collecting the amazing variety of freebies and food here.

Madeline Tan: Being at Cannes is so surreal. The best part is that I can meet global industry leaders everywhere, whether it’s watching them at talks or bumping into them at the beaches. What are the chances that you’ll be in the same room as Ryan Reynolds and tap into his brand of creativity?

This story was published in the Jun-Aug 2022 issue of HEY!. To read it and other stories from this issue in print, click here.