Mental health matters

First-year Chinese studies student and TV actress Oh Ling En portrays a bully in her latest drama, but in reality, the actress is the protector among her friends. Junn Loh listens in as she chats with NTU’s new Associate Vice President (Wellbeing), Assoc Prof Vivien Huan, to discuss wellbeing issues her peers are facing

by Junn Loh / Photo by Don Tan

Ling En: Hello, Prof Huan, I’m in my first year at NTU, and have been wondering what avenues students have to seek help when facing a crisis or feeling depressed.

Assoc Prof Vivien Huan: Hi, Ling En. There are several contact points. At the school level, there is a faculty member in charge of students. Known as the Associate Chair (Students), this person works closely with the school’s student care manager, who tends to be the first one students go to when they need help. At the university level, we have the Peer Helping Programme that is under the ambit of the University Wellbeing Office. These helpers are your peers who have signed up as volunteers to lend a helping hand or a listening ear to those who need it.

At the same time, NTU has tutors who are trained in psychological first aid. These tutors are able to recognise symptoms related to mental health issues and render the level of help required of them. In the residential halls, we have residential mentors looking out for students who need help in different aspects, including those who are anxious about school or feeling unhappy.

L: Some students may find it intimidating to approach people with titles such as “Professor” or “Manager” for help, especially when they have mental health issues. They may feel embarrassed.

V: We are quite heartened that most students today are more enlightened about mental health issues and less hesitant to reach out for guidance. For those who are shy, you can be assured that once you walk into the University Counselling Centre, there will be trained counsellors who will speak to you in a completely private and confidential environment. So, what are some common stressors for first-year students like you?

L: Some of my friends find the mandatory Interdisciplinary Collaborative Core (ICC) courses over and above their core discipline’s coursework, a source of stress.

V: I see. Perhaps it’s because your friends have yet to understand the benefits of the ICC courses. You can try encouraging them to change their perspective and see ICC through a different lens. It is a good platform for interacting with students from all over NTU. How often do you get to learn alongside others who major in disciplines that are vastly different from yours, whether science, humanities or business? Everyone sees the world differently and has different ways to solve problems. Take the opportunity you have through your ICC courses to get to know peers from other schools. You may be surprised with what you can learn from one another!

L: Thanks for sharing your perspective! Another common source of stress is starting life in hall. What advice can you give students who are finding it difficult to adapt?

V: It’s important to recognise that your hall is a community. It’s like going camping, but for six months each time. When you go camping for a week, you may encounter unhappy things, but you just let it slide because you know it is only for a week. Six months living together with other people is a different matter altogether.

I’d encourage students to use the “newly acquired” freedom and independence as an opportunity to discover your own limits. What are some of your own trigger points that cause you to be unhappy? What do you like and not like? It’s a process that requires you to develop self-awareness. Once you know yourself better, you will then know how to adapt to your environment. Of course, participating in hall programmes that help you relax – like painting or cooking, for example – will enhance your wellbeing!

L: How would you teach students to learn to say “no”, especially when they encounter uncomfortable situations in the hall? For example, being asked to drink to socialise.

V: Peer pressure is very real. When you are new to a place, it’s normal to want to do things to fit in. What matters here is effective communication. Your facial expression, your tone and your choice of words are important when rejecting your friends. Instead of giving a straight-up “no”, try being honest about it and say, “I’m really sorry. I have tried drinking before, but I found that I really don’t take to alcohol at all.” I find the young people of today quite open-minded and are able to accept one another’s differences quite easily. If they treasure you as a friend, they will respect your decisions. There might be a chance they leave you out of social events in future, but it’s a chance you must take. If they are your friends, they should understand and accept you for who you are.

L: Do you think students are inclined to suffer from depression these days?

V: People tend to use the word “depressed” quite commonly these days. You may feel anxious and lose sleep over your assignments, but that may not be depression.

L: So how do we know if we are suffering from a depressive disorder?

V: You would need to be formally diagnosed by a professional in the field such as a psychiatrist or psychologist. For a start, you might want to talk to someone from our team at the University Wellbeing Office, where there are psychologists who can assess your mental health and follow up with the necessary interventions or treatment. We also have trained counsellors who are able to talk things through with you.

L: I’m quite curious about how you coped during your university days. Was it stressful back then?

V: Well, I enjoyed my undergraduate days very much. I went to university in Canada. I studied hard and felt stressed during the exam period, but I also had my fair share of fun. Each winter when the snow came, my friends and I would go up the mountains to do different activities like skiing, snowshoeing or tobogganing. When summer rolled around, we would go out on a boat and do some fishing. So, it was a good balance of studying and playing. I know students today tend to face higher levels of stress in school, but you also have greater access to different avenues of help and support compared to my time. So, spend your next few years in NTU meaningfully – study hard but also find time to engage in activities that will help you grow holistically as a person.

To reach the University Counselling Centre, call 67904462.

This story was published in the Jan-Feb 2023 issue of HEY!. To read it and other stories from this issue in print, click here.