Seeing NTU in a new light after my overseas exchange

by Bernadette Toh

My four-month exchange in the United States was an eye-opening experience. I’ve taken home many precious memories, but the time away from home also made me miss what we have in Singapore.

Here are some things about NTU I missed when I was at the University of Texas in Austin, and what I miss about UT Austin now that I’m back.

ONE
Nothing beats our makan culture

The food in Austin is mouth-wateringly good, and the abundance of Tex-Mex (Texas-Mexican food) options are to die for. Most of the food choices at my host university are fast food chains found around and on campus, such as Chipotle and Panda Express. But one thing I truly missed was the food court-style canteens we have here in NTU, with much more variety and a communal eating experience. Instead of iced milo or teh peng, we had to find substitutes in iced coffee or chocolate drinks. There was also no supper culture there, and I found myself constantly seeking out my favourite familiar food – roti prata and dim sum – for comfort late at night.

TWO
You have to stop telling your friends: “It’s not that far, we can just walk!”

UT Austin’s campus is only slightly smaller than NTU’s campus. In NTU, we frequently make our way around by walking or taking the campus buses. Being part of our garden city also means there is more greenery and countless sheltered strolling spots in NTU. At UT Austin, there are no campus buses. Some students choose to bike, others drive, and a few take the Lime scooter, an electric scooter that can be rented in the city. Most, however, simply walk around campus. The bright side? Easily clocking your daily 10k steps with an enjoyable stroll when the weather is cooler. The not so fantastic side? The raging heatwave in Texas during the first half of the second semester, from August to well into October.

THREE
Jack of all clubs, or master of some?

NTU’s CCAs are mostly sports, arts or interest group focused. Here, we can join many without needing to pay much, if at all, because the programmes and activities are mostly funded by the university. This means we can explore different passions and try new things in school, which is something I really appreciate. In Austin, there’s a big “Greek life” culture instead. There are more than 30 fraternities and sororities, with their own chapter houses off campus. The bigger and more prestigious clubs and organisations require you to pay a membership fee, ranging from a few hundred dollars to almost a thousand per semester!

“Studying abroad has been an enriching and rewarding experience. Not only did I have an exciting cultural immersion, I also built meaningful friendships with people from all around the world. I got to take interesting courses like True Crime Podcast, have my first taste of Tex-Mex food, and experience life as a student in Austin! Still, nothing beats home.”

FOUR
Unique campus vibes

There have been numerous occasions when I feel going on exchange offers the best of both worlds – of many worlds, in fact. In Austin, holidays like Halloween are widely celebrated, so much so that the festival is fondly dubbed “Halloweekend”. Celebrations begin from as early as Thursday night and last the entire weekend. Numerous university organisations and clubs also have their own mini parties, welcoming anyone who wants to join in the fun. I have seen students get creative with their costumes when it comes to interpreting party themes, from modernised witch outfits to DIY character costumes. During football season, students spend their weekends cheering for the varsity team at games and celebrating the wins.

In NTU, we also celebrate holidays such as Halloween, and my school marks the new semester with “Homecoming”. There are usually free treats on campus and decorations all around. Another special event we have at the Wee Kim Wee school is theme week, where we get creative and dress up according to the daily themes.

Three reasons not to miss the chance to go on exchange

WHAT BETTER WAY TO LEARN A COUNTRY’S CULTURE THAN TO LIVE THERE FOR A SEMESTER?
The few months spent in a foreign country is the perfect chance to meet new people, try new food and explore the sights and sounds abroad.

THERE ARE CLUBS AND ORGANISATIONS OR CLASSES IN YOUR HOST UNIVERSITY THAT YOU WON’T FIND IN NTU.
These are great opportunities to step out of your comfort zone. I joined a student publication to write stories about Austin’s subcultures, and got to learn from other aspiring journalists.

LIVING ALONE SO FAR AWAY FROM HOME CAN HELP YOU HONE IMPORTANT LIFE SKILLS.
From improving your cooking to better managing your finances, exchange is more than just about a new university experience.

HEY! STUDENT WRITER

Bernadette loves storytelling, from books to films to documentaries. In her free time, she hunts for the best teh peng in town.

This story was published in the Jan-Feb 2023 issue of HEY!. To read it and other stories from this issue in print, click here.