Study tips from the pro(f)s

Take inspiration from how your profs prepared for exams when they were students (and discover the science of why their methods work)

by Dr Daphne Ng

Assoc Prof Ajai Vyas, School of Biological Sciences

Assoc Prof Vyas with sugarcane plants that he grew when he was studying agriculture as an undergraduate.

My favourite study tip when I was a student:

“I stopped studying a week before the examinations and slept eight hours or more every day that week. During that time, I also walked around a lot and ate three square meals a day.”

Why it works:

Contrary to popular belief, burning the midnight oil may not lead to better results. Studies show that seven to nine hours of sleep per night is required for the brain to function properly and a lack of sleep affects the ability of the brain to make memories. Equally important are a healthy diet and being physically active, which research regularly shows can significantly improve wellbeing by reducing anxiety and other negative feelings like stress from the upcoming exams.

Dr Lucy Victoria Everett Wilding, Assistant Dean (Year 1 and Year 2), Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine

Dr Wilding as a medical student.

“I studied in cafes and coffee shops as the background noise and the people milling around helped me to concentrate.”

Why it works:

There is evidence that ambient noise, for example, the sounds of people chatting and the whir of the coffee machine, may improve concentration in some people and even boost their productivity. This is because background noise can mask distracting sounds, which helps you stay focused on the task at hand. According to science, whether or not such noise distracts or helps during study sessions may depend on your personality. Extroverts, take note – this method might work well for you.

Assoc Prof Victoria Leong, School of Social Sciences

Assoc Prof Leong when she was a junior research fellow at the University of Cambridge in the UK.

“Rehearse the information you are trying to learn out loud instead of just reading it silently.”

Why it works:

Studies have found that there is a memory advantage to saying words out loud versus saying them in your head. It’s because the act of speaking and hearing yourself helps you remember better. This phenomenon of learning by doing, dubbed the “production effect”, speeds up what you put into long-term memory.

Asst Prof Ng Bing Feng, School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering

Life as an NTU undergrad: Asst Prof Ng Bing Feng (right) with former NTU faculty member Dr Daniel Thunnissen.

“I revised my work after every lecture. I also asked a lot of questions during the semester. No question is stupid. If your professor knows you by name, it means you have bothered your professor enough with your questions.”

Why it works:

Repetition of information reinforces connections between nerve cells in the brain, which helps us remember new material. For better recall of the information in the long term, psychologists recommend spacing out study sessions instead of cramming intensively. Being actively engaged in learning such as by asking questions also activates the brain to process and store new information.

Assoc Prof Jung Younbo, Associate Chair (Academic) at Wee Kim Wee School of Communication & Information

Assoc Prof Jung when he was a postgraduate student at the University of Southern California in the US.

“Eat dark chocolate as you study.”

Why it works:

Dark chocolate contains high levels of compounds called flavonoids that increase blood flow to the brain. Studies have found a link between flavonoids and brain benefits related to memory and thinking. Dark chocolate also boosts the production of feel-good hormones called endorphins, helping students maintain a positive mood during the revision period.

This story was published in the Sep-Oct 2023 issue of HEY!. To read it and other stories from this issue in print, click here.