Snow time like now

Life’s an adventure – you just need to say “yes” when opportunities knock. A few years ago, it dawned on chemical and biomolecular engineering grad Tee Chin Yaw that he could go further, literally, after a casual conversation with his wife.

“We talked about the prospect of living overseas while we had few commitments. I’d had short stints in different countries earlier in my career, but the thought of relocating long term never crossed my mind,” says Chin Yaw, who was then in his sixth year at consumer goods manufacturer Unilever, his first job after graduation. Being employed by a multinational corporation worked to his advantage as he was able to arrange for an international assignment as part of his career progression.

Still, he admits it was a “huge gamble” as he accepted a lower pay and his wife would have to find a new job. It also meant learning a new language and adapting to a new climate and culture. What he did have was a positive mindset and a strong conviction.

Life in Schaffhausen in Switzerland has been “idyllic”, he says. “We chose a modern apartment, situated among centuries-old buildings, that felt like our HDB flat back home. We picked up skiing, which was really just an excuse to go to the beautiful mountains every weekend! And of course, we started making new friends through our German classes.”

Transitioning into his new role as a procurement manager brought back memories of his six months in the UK as an NTU student. 

“NTU has given me wonderful opportunities to broaden my horizons, experiences that have moulded me into a ‘global citizen’. Electives like Spanish, Chinese poetry and my minor in entrepreneurship also gave me insights into the diversity that exists in the world. These probably influenced me to join an international company too.”

With the benefit of hindsight, Chin Yaw has these words for others considering a similar path: “If you are 50-50, take the plunge. It’s impossible to anticipate everything. Go with an open mind and a strong motivation to succeed and enjoy the adventure.”

Click on the other profiles below to continue reading

This story was published in the Aug-Sep 2021 issue of HEY!. To read it and other stories from this issue in print, click here.