Ong Shi Li

Chemistry & Biological Chemistry graduate

Works at: Givaudan Singapore
Job title: Application Technologist

Describe your job.
I play with food, or more accurately, flavours in food. I sample food every day, assist in flavour creation and apply these new flavours to food products to check if they work.

So… what’s cooking in the labs?
As I’m in the non-savoury flavour department in Givaudan, I work on flavours for things like coffee, tea, alcohol, dairy products, biscuits and even baked goods. Currently, I’m working on a new flavour for alcoholic beverages, so technically I’m allowed to “drink” on the job.

Tell us your secret to finding this cool job.
You have to love science! Chemistry and biology were two of my favourite subjects in school and so it was an easy decision to join NTU. I applied to Givaudan for my internship as I love food and this was right up my alley. One of the first things I had to do was pass a smelling and flavour test. I’ve been here ever since!

Any achievement you’ll never forget?
Beverage manufacturers typically prefer liquid flavours. My fellow flavourists had been unable to convert a flavour from solid to liquid form even after many tries so I was delighted when I managed to pioneer a method for it. This method is still being used in my company today.

What tips do you have for your juniors eyeing a similar role?
The skills I picked up in the NTU labs – and in my biochemistry and organic chemistry classes – helped me settle into my role very quickly, so try not to slack off during your lab sessions and tutorials! Other than that, to thrive in this job and have a lot of fun doing it, you need to have a huge interest in food and flavours, as well as natural curiosity about how things work.

Click on the other graduates below to continue reading

This story was published in the Aug-Sep 2021 issue of HEY!. To read it and other stories from this issue in print, click here.