Teo Eng Siong

Accountancy graduate

Works at: PayPal
Job title: Investigator (Global Investigations)

Describe your profession.
I am like a private detective that’s been hired by PayPal to investigate whether white collar crimes such as fraud or sales malpractice are taking place within the company. The difference I bring to the table is my knowledge of numbers.

How did you land this job?
When I was in my first job at KPMG, I was briefly exposed to the anti-money laundering compliance programme. After that, I joined Navigant, an American consulting firm, where we performed cross-border bribery and corruption investigations. That gave me my first insight into such investigations and I liked what I saw. I continued along this career path for the next company I worked at before joining PayPal.

What about your job motivates you to get out of bed each morning?
I love that my job never gets boring or routine! People who are out to commit fraud are not going to follow a template, so I too have to think out of the box when I’m investigating.

Tell us what skills you need for your role.
I have to be resourceful and think critically to get a satisfactory investigation outcome. I also need to be adept at making sense of data. Other key skills include interviewing techniques. It sounds simple, but it rarely is. I actually trained alongside various law enforcement agency officers in the United States.

What are you thankful to NTU for?
NTU’s reputation for producing quality “job ready” graduates worked in my favour. My GPA wasn’t great, so I think this helped me get my foot in the door in
this industry.

Click on the other graduates below to continue reading

This story was published in the Aug-Sep 2021 issue of HEY!. To read it and other stories from this issue in print, click here.