Sunny Neo

Computer Science graduate

Works at: Cyber Security Agency of Singapore
Job title: Lead Consultant

Describe your job.
I lead a team of “white hat” hackers to discover if systems can withstand security attacks by criminals. We do this by playing the role of a hacker and run attack simulations on organisations. In doing so, we help organisations test and improve their ability to detect and respond to cyber attacks.

Tell us about your lightbulb moment.
In 2003, my personal computer was hit by malware. That sparked my interest in cybersecurity as it showed me how security vulnerabilities can be exploited to change the way your computer functions. In Temasek Polytechnic, I was exposed to the different aspects of cybersecurity, which stirred my interest in this field.

Can you explain the importance of cybersecurity to the rest of us?
How we live, work and communicate is increasingly intertwined with technology, and the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated this trend. Videoconferencing software, food delivery and online shopping platforms are now a regular part of our lives. Without cybersecurity, we would not be able to trust and use these technologies and platforms with confidence – imagine your identity being stolen, your life savings wiped out.

What do you love about your role?
I was in the private sector for many years. There, the work was very rewarding, but the outcome would only affect the client. Here, I get the chance to work on projects and initiatives of much wider significance and contribute at the national level. On top of that, I enjoy working with many passionate colleagues who are laser-focused on driving positive changes across the cybersecurity industry.

What are you grateful to NTU for?
My rigorous education equipped me with a strong foundation in the different domains of computer science such as algorithms, operating systems and computer networks. As cybersecurity cuts across domains, I need to be conversant in these areas, which also helps me learn on the job faster. Hackers are always coming up with new ways to circumvent the systems, so my skill set and knowledge need to constantly evolve in order to keep up with them.

Click on the other graduates below to continue reading

This story was published in the Aug-Sep 2021 issue of HEY!. To read it and other stories from this issue in print, click here.